The Farm Walks are an opportunity for the Farming For Nature farmers to showcase their contribution to nature and good farming practices on their land.
Ailbhe runs a 30 hectare farm on the banks of Lough Derg. She bought the land in 2010 and took on the challenge of turning a neglected farm into a diverse farm system to make a living. Today one third of the farm is broadleaf (3 acres of which is designated), one third is arable and one third is agri-environment under wild bird cover. She has an organic sheep flock and honey bees which she sells both directly from the farm and online. Ailbhe shares her passion of farming with others with regular open days and demonstration days.
- This will be an approximate 3-hour session on the farm includes a walk around with the farmer, looking at some of the habitats and species present, as well as the livestock and/or crops, and discussing with the farmer how he/she/they manage the land in support of nature.
- The farmer/farm family will lead the event but may also be supported by a relevant professional if they wish – either known to the farmer or organised by FFN.
- These series of walks run between March and October.
- As numbers are restricted to 35, you have to book a place beforehand through our booking system then you will receive exact details of where to meet etc.
- These walks are for farmers and people with an interest in farming for nature, they are not suitable for children.
- These walks are non-profit but a booking fee is necessary to minimise the level of no-shows. It is €5 to register and this donation will either go to a selected charity of the farm or to the Farming For Nature initiative through it's umbrella charity the Burrenbeo Trust.
- Please wear suitable footwear for uneven and potentially muddy conditions.
- We would ask that you please respect these farmers, their land and livestock when visiting. Dogs are not welcome.
- These events has been jointly supported by Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine and the National Parks and Wildlife Service.
- Exact location of the farm will be emailed nearer of the walk.